EATZ: Seoul Yummy™ - Korean Casual Dining

Since the dawn of 2008, I have been visiting Korean restaurants and having Korean food, whether they are authentic or not. Places I have been to for Korean food include Janchijib, Hanok, Han Kook Gwan and even the food courts. Korean restaurants are like flowers in spring, blooming all at once with the recent hype in Korean culture which includes Kpop and especially K-drama. Our selections has thus increased by exponentially. With so many choices, it does not really matter if they are any more authentic, but most importantly, the taste must be right!
In my personal opinion, Korean cuisine is really similar to Chinese cuisine in terms of ingredients but much simpler, less the exotic aspect. Though simpler, Korean cuisine is prepared in a more intricate, unique and traditional way, which now, is still practised. Korean cuisine is a much healthier choice in terms of ingredient selection and preparation.
I have earlier done a field report on Novena Square 2 when the the building was first opened. Today, Square 2 is almost reaching maximum retail tenant occupancy, but most importantly, Suqare 2 is famous for being "All Things Korean"! The whole of level 3 is dedicated to everything that is Korean, from food, fashion to groceries. If you didn't know, the famous "Mdm Kim's Hankook Rice Cake" has an outlet here as well. I visited "Seoul Yummy™ - Korean Casual Dining" which is a rather new restaurant. The operators of "Seoul Yummy" also operates a few Korean food stalls in some food courts, so are the restaurant food better than those from the food courts? Read on to find out!

Seoul Yummy™
Korean Casual Dining
10, Sinaran Drive #03-68, Square 2
Singapore 307506
Located at a prominent corner (beside Poh Kim) of the immensely complex maze, finding Seoul Yummy™ is not too hard, though the store front faces another's. I could not get a direct shot of the front as the corridor between the shops is too narrow. On one side of the restaurant facing the corridor, there are displays that simply lures you in. It lured me in!

The Menu
Though some restaurants would disapprove the idea of getting their menu snapped, I feel that I had to do it to show off its huge variety available to pick from, starters to desserts. This can also facilitate potential diners and my readers on the pricing and make their choice, plan their dinner, before making a trip down to Seoul Yummy™. I was spoilt for choice, but I did not take long to decide since I really need to compare a few common dishes with those that I had. I was asked if I had wanted "Chilled Korean Tea" but I picked warm water, since they charge for the tea. For each meal, it does not come with the usual sides (e.g chillied anchovies, kimchi etc.) as they are available as separate orders.



Starters
Cheul Pan Kimchi Hae Mool Jeon
Hotplate kimchi & seafood pancake
S$6.80
I have previously tried Korean seafood pancake at "Han Kook Gwan", though not too impressed then, I decided to try the version at "Seoul Yummy". Instead of the regular pancake which was recommended in the menu, I went for the pricier one which includes kimchi and seafood. The soft pancake is topped with generous servings of kimchi, squid slices and fresh succulent shrimps, sits on a sizzling hotplate. The core of the pancake is very soft and slightly wet, which I suspect to be 80% cooked, but maybe intentional because the texture is fantastic! The pancake comes with a specially formulated spicy and tangy dip.

Mains
Dolsot BiBimBab (Bibimbap)
Hotpot Mixed Rice
S$7.80
Dolsot Bibimbap is a colourful combination of steamed rice served with shredded vegetables (carrots, cucumber and small bean sprouts), beef, a raw egg sitting on the bibimbap sauce, sprinkled with shredded nori (seaweed) strips and white sesame seeds in a hot-stone bowl. The ingredients are very fresh and the vegetables are crunchy even after blending.




Dak Gae Jang
Spicy Chicken Soup
S$8.80
Glass vermicelli, with vegetables, egg, tofu and chicken chunks immersed in a mean-looking spicy soup. The appearance already made me drool subconsciously, the taste is definitely deserved more than 'spicy'. We all know that very spicy food can send a signal of 'being full' to the brain. This soup can do that and the huge portion just makes it hard for one person to finish it. But the soup apart from being spicy, is also very tasty. I just cannot stop but to slurp down till the last drop. Soup dishes comes with a bowl of plain rice.




Verdict
"Seoul Yummy™" provides a more than decent variety of Korean dishes, from "Ddok Bokky" (spicy rice cake) starters to fruity "Bingsu" (desserts), at very good prices below S$10. Cheaper than most Korean restaurants along Tanjong Pagar Road. The ingredients are fresh and the food is tasty. The portions are worth every single cent. Though I would prefer that they serve complimentary chilled tea and sides for every order of main dishes, but the prices are already so low that I cannot ask for more. Of all the places that I have been to try the Korean food, I still rank "Janchijib" as top but "Seoul Yummy™" follows closely behind. However, I would visit the "Seoul Yummy™" more frequently since the food are cheaper! After all, their slogan "Casual Korean Dining" really suits them well. Do visit "Seoul Yummy™ - Casual Korean Dining" at Novena Square 2. You will easily find yourself returning 'casually' for food that are 'So Good'!
Note: 10% service charge and 7% GST applies.

technorati
tags

Comments