Going for the Triple! Rojak, Prawn Noodle and Empal Penyet

Can you believe in "triple-meal-in-a-row"? Not that I am trying to become fat again, but I just could not resist the temptation to these 3 different popular food, even if it means more rounds and putting my knee at risk, to burn that calories! They must be really good for me to do all that! Read on to find out.

I started out at Dunman Food Centre. I was put off by the 'more than hour' long wait at the "Lau Hong Ser Rojak" stall when I had my Frog's Legs Porridge. I decided that I must try it and review about it no matter how long it takes! Hence I made my order and was told to give a table number. Though there was no one before me and I was not told to wait for an hour, there is already a long list of orders! Yes! The stall owner actually take phone orders. He repeated my order while he continued to work in an odd yet consistently swift manner, which I can only find the term 'ganjiong spider' to describe. While waiting for my order patiently, I was turning my head like an owl and scanning across the tables to see what others are having. I also witnessed a few other patrons who gave the same shocked response when they were told to wait for an hour. Some turned ugly and mumbled remarks like 'ridiculous', but the stall owner continued working and addressed them politely as sir/madam. My stomach juices are churning non-stop and I knew I had to order the popular pork rib prawn noodle from "Heng Heng Prawn Noodle" to feed my hunger. There were no long queues at Heng Heng's, but I saw quite a few people having his prawn noodle. I wondered how it fared compared to "Chung Cheng Chilli Mee" which I had here and here.



HENG HENG Prawn Noodle
Pork Rib Prawn Kway Teow

S$3
Though the ideal way to critic on prawn noodles will be to try the 'soup' version instead of the 'dry', but I decided to try it 'dry' with kway teow, the way I like it, and also for making comparison to "Chung Cheng Chilli Mee's". The noodle comes with 4 small de-shelled shrimps and two chunks of pork rib. The fatty part of the pork rib makes the slightly drier meat taste more juicy. The noodle is also served alongside some kangkong and beansprouts. The chilli mix for the 'dry' noodles is not really as 'sweet' as that from "Chung Cheng", probably due to lesser ketchup. It is also not as spicy. The soup is obviously brewed from fresh prawn shells and pork bones, such that the essense of both ingredients has been extracted into the tasty soup.


Verdict
It is definitely better than average prawn noodles, but I have had better, at least when compared to "Chung Cheng Chilli Mee". Can try but not worth the queue.

Lau Hong Ser Rojak
S$2
The most important ingredient of rojak is the shrimp paste that makes up the thick sauce. The sweet and full-bodied flavour of the sauce, together with the ground peanut makes the rojak rather savoury. The you tiao and tau pok are barbequed to the right crunch even when covered with sauce. I seldom take the pineapple in rojak, but I definitely like the crunchy beansprouts, radish and cucumber. I have requested mine to be spicy.



Verdict
Though the rojak cannot be considered as a meal, but finishing a plate of rojak can be rather filling. For the cheap price of S$2 and great taste, it is definitely worth the wait. If you can't wait, then call to pre-order! (I do not provide the number).


On my way back to get some famous desserts along Joo Chiat Road, I came across "Ayam Penyet RIA". They are actually quite cool to have the name of the dish as domain name without the '.sg'! That sure put them at a prominent spot in the cyberspace. The shop was not packed, but there were a few couples having their dinner. I rubbed my tummy while I pushed the door open. I have had Nasi Ayam Penyet at Changi Village, Ayam Penyet House and later at Tanjong Pagar railway station canteen. It will be interesting to draw a conclusion on which being better!

Ayam Penyet RIA
Empal Penyet
S$5
I decided not to have the common Ayam Penyet but try the Empal (beef) Penyet. I have earlier tried the same at "Ayam Penyet House". The Chinese bosses (an aged couple) served me politely at the counter where I made my order, which came shortly after. On the usual wooden plate and banana leaf, the beef is served with tempae (beans cake), tao kwa (beancurd), broiled kangkong, raw cucumber and cabbage, fried cornflakes and most importantly, the chilli paste. The beef is very dry and without any unique taste, unlike "Ayam penyet House's". Together with the fabulous chilli paste, it makes the meat easier to chew. I like it that there is the fried cornflakes. The tempae is very fresh and does not seem like it has been left in the air for a long time. When I was halfway through, the boss then brought me a huge bowl of tasty clear soup. I wondered if it was supposed to be together with my penyet or complimentary.




Verdict
The beef is not as tasty as the one at "Ayam Penyet House". However, it is better than my experience at Tanjong Pagar railway station canteen; at least my greens are cooked since I don't eactly like raw long beans. The generous serving of fried cornflakes is a nice addition to the penyet. I like the tasty and very spicy chilli paste. I must try the Ayam (chicken) Penyet to make a more the review more complete. There is no long queues and no need to wait long for the orders to serve. An air-conditioned, bright and clean environment is definitely a bonus. If all Ayam Penyet tastes the same, I would prefer to dine at "Ayam Penyet RIA"!


SHIOK! SHIOK! triple meal! ^o^

technorati
tags

Comments

Anonymous said…
don't worry about getting fat .... you definitely need to put on a bit of weight
WILLIAM TAN said…
edna said...
don't worry about getting fat .... you definitely need to put on a bit of weight

as long as they are not at the wrong places. :p