Look what I've had! Hock Lam Street Popular Beef Kway Teow

I have been to the Original Hock Lam Street Beef Kway Teow at China Street (image links broken) and have discussed about its relation to Hock Lam Street Popular Beef Kway Teow at Purvis Street (image links broken). I have visited the latter again to get some updates in the pictures. So here goes!


Beef balls & sliced beef with thick beehoon (rice vermicelli) (Soup)
With an option to choose between kway teow (rice noodle) or thick beehoon (rice vermicelli), Fio chosed the latter. The beef balls thing to shout about, as you can probably taste them everywhere. However, the sliced beef are really tender and gently simmered in the light tasty broth. I would even say the beef is medium done. The noodle comes with plenty of bean sprouts to mellow the taste of the broth.

Mixed Beef Kway Teow (Dry)
It is almost like eating beef kway chap. In the mixed beef kway teow set, you get peanut chuncks on the sides which is intended to be mixed into the thick sauce giving the whole meal a nutty taste. Among the mixed beef, eveything almost looked identical, but I do know that there are sliced beef, beef brisket, beef tendon and other possibly exotic beef organs, all in one or two pieces each. It is then topped with kiam chye (preserved vegetables) and the usual yan sui (chinese parsley). The sauce remains thick till the very last drop. Clear broth is served in a separate bowl. When I drank my soup and compare to the soup version's broth, I immediately realised that there was a difference. After drinking a few spoonfuls of my soup, I cannot help but imagine a zesty lemony detergent-like taste. Thus, I decided not to finish the soup.

On the whole, I begin to feel that the standard has not improved though not dropped either. But at prices from S$4 onwards, I would rather go for Food Court's beef noodle, Thaksin Beef Noodle at Clementi Central or visit their 'rival' Original Hock Lam Street Beef Kway Teow at China Street. But if you like something different and good, I must insist you try Chuan Seng Beef Noodle at Serangoon Garden Food Centre.

technorati tags

Comments