Hock Lam Street Popular Beef Kway Teow

Remember that I have earlier visited and reviewed The Original Hock Lam Street Beef Noodle?
This time, I am at Hock Lam Street Popular Beef Kway Teow, but this time not 'The Original'.
So what is this confusion between the Popular Hock Lam and the Original Hock Lam?
Read to find out more...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

For the sake of easier reading, I shall use 'Popular' for the 'Hock Lam Street Popular Beef Kway Teow', while 'Original' for 'The Original Hock Lam Street Beef Kway Teow'.
Popular is located along Purvis Street. They serve a similar menu to that of Original's. The reason is that they both originated from one unique family recipe with a history of close to a hundred years! I believe during the time of the Tan brothers, the 3rd generation, they split and run their own businesses selling the same recipe. Original is now being run by the 4th generation, Ms. Tan, daughter of Mr. Tan, a former banker turned owner of this family trade. While I believe that the man whom I saw today at Popular, to be the other Mr. Tan. The other staff working there should be his family members. However, I believe that Ms. Tan from Original has taken this as an entrepreneurship with hiring of foreign workers and promotions via the media etc.

Now let's savour this fantastic recipe that is older than me and many of us reading this post.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The beef kway teow at Popular is served in same fashion as the Original. I had the dry but I only photographed the soup one. The dry beef kway teow is served with preserved vegetables, chinese parsley and crushed peanuts. The soup had more meat fibre suspended while the Original one tend to be darker and clear. The gravy is the same tasty thick sauce as the Original too.

I would recommend you try both and decide which is your prefered. For me, I prefer visiting Original, because I can visit CSC after that. However, for those who find going to China Street to try out the Original, to be inconvenient, you can settle for the Popular at Purvis Street. Do note that the price was revised to start at S$5 instead of S$4 (probably a move to ride on the trend of GST increment to 7%! Globalize when your are not ready? STUPID!).

But when comparing this to the earlier Chuan Seng Beef Noodles, I would say that they are completely different and I would still prefer Chuan Seng, since I like the sup kambing style sauce more than the normal chinese beef noodle sauce.

technorati tags

Comments