EATZ: Outram Park Ya Hua Rou Gu Cha (肉骨茶)

Outram Park Ya Hua Rou Gu Cha
PSA Tanjong Pagar Complex #01-05/077
Keppel Road, Singapore
Operating hours: 7am to 3pm, Closed on Mondays
Outram Park Ya Hua Rou Gu Cha is famous for what they are selling, Bah Kut Teh (肉骨茶, Pork Ribs Soup). I have earlier reviewed two types of Bah Kut Teh: black stew meat broth (lor or braised) type and regular black herb-&-spiced soup type. The type that is sold here at Outram Park Ya Hua is the regular herb-&-spiced type but in clear soup. Over here, they serve quite a variety of other dishes to go along with your usual bah kut teh dishes. Find out why it is famous and why you must try it!

The usual a-la-carte dishes
Before ordering a bowl of fried dough sticks were served. You cannot have bah kut teh without these fried dough sticks. They are meant to be dunked into the soup, soak it up and savoured. Apart from bah kut teh, we ordered pickled vegetables, braised pork trotters stew, braised or lor tau pok (dried beancurd) and braised or lor tofu (beancurd). One can choose between fatty pork trotters or leaner, but seriously it makes not much of a difference!

Bah Kut Teh
肉骨茶
Pork Ribs Soup
This is the clear type of the herb-&-spiced pork rib soup. Thick, chunky, juicy, tender pork ribs served in a petite bowl of soup.

Verdict
Damn Shiok! I was endlessly asking for free refills into my bowl of bah kut teh, since the bowl was so small! The reason is because the soup is FANTASTIC! The herbs and spices used were strong and very spicy from the white pepper. The soup is very very 'sweet' from all the stewing of the pork ribs. I was rather certain that a lot of MSG was used, but I did not felt thirsty after my meal, so I could be wrong. The braised pork trotters and beancurds are tasty as well. The meat from the pork trotters, infused with the essense of the stew, is very tender. Though I asked for the leaner pork trotters, they still gave me a huge slab of fatty pork skin with a moderate layer of fat sticking to it. Nevetheless, the majority are leaner meat. I love it when they stew them with whole garlics. I would then munch on the stewed soft whole garlics which would kill vampires. On the whole better than this, this and this.
I strongly recommend the Ba Kut Teh (肉骨茶) at Outram Park Ya Hua Rou Gu Cha, this type of bah kut teh is the best and I believe they possibly serve a better version of the same type than those along Balestier Road! Live and eat without regrets!

technorati tags

Comments

Anonymous said…
they gave you that fatty slab probably because they thought you needed some fat on you :D
WILLIAM TAN said…
Hello bunbungirl!
Thank you visiting my blog.
WILLIAM TAN said…
edna> i dun need fat to put on some bulk. i need protein.... haha