EATZ: Old Hokkien Street Ba Koot Teh

I once rated the it 2.5 out of 5.
But I decided to give it a second shot.
I was back at Hong Lim Complex again to try out "Old Hokkien Street Ba Koot Teh".
We need to really get used to the name used here. This dish is called "Ba Koot Teh" instead of "Bak Kut Teh", but they both refer to the same "Pork Rib Soup".

Old Hokkien Street Ba Koot Teh, Turtle Soup
Hong Lim Complex
Ground Level


Ba Koot Teh
S$3
I once commented that it tasted like diluted 'lor' (braised meat stew), it still does. Not a tinge of spicyness. The tender soft pork ribs soaked up the essense of the 'lor'. The pork ribs are only 10% fat while I guess the rest has gone onto the soup. I really must stop calling the meat, pork ribs, for the meat chunks does not seem likepork ribs at all!


Pig Innards Soup
S$3
They called is "Pig Lunards" which I seriously believe to be errornous. I was glad that it wasn't "Pig Gon@rds"! The only significant pig innards are pig liver and kidneys. Where have the intestines and stomach gone to? I felt short-changed! The innards are not overly cooked and thus they are not too tough and springy. I suspect the soup to be the same as the "Ba Koot Teh", the same diluted 'lor'.

I always insist that the best way to have the pork ribs is to dab them on the thick dark soy sauce and with a slice of chilli.

Verdict
I felt that I shall not be too critical by giving a passing rating, but seriously I would prefer "Leon Kee Pork Ribs Soup" over "Old Hokkien Street Ba Koot Teh". I just don't go with the idea of serving every different dish, such as "Pig Innards soup" or even "Pig Trotters" etc., in the same broth. There must be a clea distinction between the different variety.


technorati
tags

Comments

Anonymous said…
I actually wanted to go Morning Bak Kut Teh but went to Hokkien Bak Kut Teh instead. I tried the pig trotters today, it comes with a small browl of bak kut teh soup. I also ordered a some you tiao to dip in the soup. The trotter meat are very soft and has soaked up the flavour from the dark sauce. The soup I had today was quite tasty and not too salty. Perfect for dipping the you tiao.