Old Hokkien Street Bah Kut Teh

I finally got to try the Old Hokkien Street Bah Kut Teh at Hong Lim Complex, after seeing all that long queues in the morning, everytime I visits Chinatown. There was no queue at around 3pm today, but there was still a handful. I immediately ordered a bowl of the popular Bah Kut Teh to try, which the lady boss managed to scrap the remnants from her pot to make a last serving. This meal costs me S$3.50 with rice included.



Unlike the conventional Bah Kut Teh, which is becoming a famous feature of Balestier Road, this Hokkien Street Bah Kut Teh has a black broth instead of colourless clear broth. Bah Kut Teh with black broth are usually very traditional Hokkien-style, due to the use of the spices including both white and black peppercorns. I was immediately taken aback, when I could not taste the pepper and it was not spicy at all. The broth have a decent taste, but nothing close to conventional Bah Kut Teh. I immediately thought that I was actually having diluted 'Lor' (stew meat broth), but it was not intensely salty. The Bah Kut (pork ribs) were stewed to a dark brown color, soaking up all the flavour from the medium. I love dipping the meat in the thick dark soy sauce with cut chilli, as it brings out the full flavour! This Old Hokkien Street Bah Kut Teh is best consumed piping hot and with a bowl of fragrant white rice.

I rate the Old Hokkien Street Bah Kut Teh, 2.5 of 5 stars.
There are better Bah Kut Teh at Balestier Road which are though more expensive but better. Me being a regular at Balestier Road recommend going for the 'small-time' operators than the famous and overly-crowded shops which tend to be over-hyped. The 'small-time' operators serves a BETTER Bah Kut Teh and at a LOWER price, less the luxury of air-conditioning dining.

technorati tags

Comments