๐Ÿ† D1600 - Running Milestone Challenge ๐Ÿ

 


๐Ÿ† Day 1600 Run ๐Ÿ 

 Running 25,602 KM over 1600 days ๐Ÿ”ฅ


2024

2023
2022
2021
2020
2019

๐Ÿ† The day is finally here! 1600 consecutive days streak of 10KADAY challenge. In this challenge, I will attempt to run on the great outdoors every single day, clocking at least 10,000 steps or at least 10 kilometres daily. There is no rest days, no off days, no sick leaves and no breaks due to work or travels. Even during the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown, the challenge goes on (after all outdoor workout activities were allowed and even encouraged). 


Under the full moon hanging over the sky and warm weather, I pound the tarmac once again to Marina Bay Singapore to complete my daily 13 km routine. Yesterday, on day 1599, I had a good half-marathon with a SUB-5 pace. Monday was intended to be my rest day, where I will go easy for recovery, especially after yesterday's weekend SUB-5 half-marathon.



How it all began
My running journey began back in November 2018. My health was in a messy state due to my sedentary lifestyle since I embarked on the journey of fatherhood. The health alarms were likely associated to overweight and lack of physical activities. I decided that I need to turn my health around for the better, if I truly want to be a responsible father to my children and family members. Since running is the simplest form of cardio workout and a proven effective weight-loss exercise, I slipped on a pair of old running shoes which had sat untouched in the shoe cabinet for years. After all, running is the cheapest form of exercise (and so we all assume).
Got myself the cheapest pair of fitness tracking watch and downloaded Runkeeper to start tracking my progress.

On 12th of November 2018, I started with really short 2.4 km runs and shortly progressed to 5 km runs within days. In less than a month, by December, I realized that my stamina started to build up and was already doing 10 km runs. For the few months, I started running between 5 to 10 km almost every week day, occassionally sneaking in a rest day and proper resting on weekends. However, once the endorphins from running start to hook me, that was when the running started getting more serious and motivated. 

From my Samsung fitness band, I switched to a Fitbit Ionic. If you are on the bandwagon of fitness trackers, you can understand how watching the workout stats can be a motivation and in my case and obsession. Only on 7th of November 2019, I need to go "pro" and got myself a Garmin Vivoactive 3 watch and started tracking on Garmin Connect. The Garmin Vivoactive 3 had a nice little pop-up everytime I complete a run. The pop-up would display the days streak I had achieved my daily goal of 10,000 steps, which I would always attempt to achieve within the shortest time spent by running instead of just walking. I thought that was a really neat feature and look forward to see the different graphics that would congratulate my small success. Soon, I decided set a personal challenge to reach 100 days and see if my Garmin watch would give me easter eggs (obviously there isn't). Soon enough, 100 days reached and then what else? I upgraded to 200, 300, 500, 730 and soon ran out of significant numerical milestone to achieve. Why not attempt 1000 days! That's how the #D1KRun personal challenge began. Once I had been there, I just could not stop going for more, hence setting the next big goal of 1500 Days milestone, which I completed in Japan while having a family vacation. I told myself that it was time to give myself a pat on the back, hang the shoes up for a day and kick back a day or two for a real good rest.


Here I am at Day 1600 (actually it is Day 1601 including today and the first day), with no intention to stop yet. However, I am setting this milestone as a marker for my achievement and a reason for me to taper off the distances. For years, I had been clocking almost 13 km every week day and 21 km every weekends. In order to do that, I had to sacrifice sleep and be up early, usually at 4 a.m. in the morning and clock my daily runs. Why do I do that? I made sure that my little obsession and challenge should not put my family and my work schedules at any inconveniences. I wanted to make sure that I am always around for my family and work commitments, and not sneaking off to run (not that exercising is a bad thing). I always put family and work first, hence my erratic habit for the past few years had been consistently waking up while everyone is still asleep, finish my run and be back before everyone is awake.

Over the 1600 days, there were days when the body tells me to stop, the mind tells me perserve and achieve the next milestone. Keeping my mind focused on the milestone, never chasing for pace and never running for any races. I made a point not to participate in races and marathons, so that I do not need to take rest days to recover. I kept to that eventually, but I still managed to a few full marathons, just to get that checked that off my bucket list ✅. That is how I can run every day and keep my momentum going.


Today, I accomplished my milestone goal, 
1600 consecutive days streak of 10KADAY.
#daily10k

When there is a Will, Nothing is Impossible to achieve! ๐Ÿฆพ

Summary of 1600 Days Milestone ๐Ÿ”ฅ

๐Ÿ”ธTotal distance ran: 25,602.78 km ๐Ÿฆฟ
๐Ÿ”ธAverage pace: 5:41 min/km ๐Ÿƒ
๐Ÿ”ธTotal time: 2,421 h 41 mins ⏱️
๐Ÿ”ธTotal calories burnt: 1,608,693 ๐Ÿ”ฅ
๐Ÿ”ธ419 half-marathons completed
๐Ÿ”ธ3 full marathons completed
๐Ÿ”ธ38 pairs of running shoes ๐Ÿ‘Ÿ
๐Ÿ”ธRan in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Germany, Austria, Japan
๐Ÿ”ธ D1600



This is how I Chase Greatness! ๐Ÿฆพ
Run, I Will! ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ”ฅ
Run my Own Race ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ…


My message to anyone who thinks that it is hard to change your health and lifestyle for the better,
"๐““๐“ธ๐“ท'๐“ฝ ๐“ณ๐“พ๐“ผ๐“ฝ ๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ ๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฏ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚๐“ผ,
๐“ข๐“ฝ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚๐“ผ ๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฏ๐“ฎ!" 


#daily10k #solorun #running2024 #runyourownrace #onlyhuman #sustainablerunning #beatyesterday #garmin #garminsg #garminmyrun #garminrunning #gogarmin #beatyesterday #forerunner #forerunnerforrunners #forerunner945 #rundynamics #ASIC #NOVABLAST #RunForSingapore #GetActiveSG #sgrunners #sgrunning #singaporerunning #singaporerunners #ๅคฉๅคฉไธ‡ๆญฅ #ๅคฉๅคฉๅๅ…ฌ้‡Œ #่ท‘ๅฐฑๅฏนไบ†

Comments