Hong Kong Trip '09: [PART 4] Walk, Shop, Eat in Kowloon

Hong Kong Trip '09
Part 4
Walk, Shop, Eat in Kowloon

When you travel to Hong Kong, apart from visiting tourist attractions, the main attraction will have to be exploring the streets of Hong Kong. In this part of the Hong Kong Trip '09 series, I compiled the food that I had and things that I seen, when I was in Kowloon, Hong Kong.


Former Adidas Flagship Store in Hong Kong, now is Performance Store. Located on 17 Hankow Road, Tsim Sha Tsui.
In's Point, CTMA Centre, Animate are places where toy collectors would love to visit.
Sai Yeung Choi Street (西洋菜街) is the place to shop your electronics. The road is closed in the evening for shoppers and catch occassional street performances.

[Food that I ate]
I can only eat three meals but found myself taking more than three meals. The reason being the irresistable temptation of the tastes of Hong Kong.
Century Egg Congee and Fried Dough Sticks. Cannot really remember the shop, but just stepped into an eatery along Cameron Road for brunch. The porridge was thick, viscous and tasty. The you tiao (fried dough sticks) in Hong Kong are quite oily and has a strong greasy taste. I suspect it is due to the re-used oil. Nevertheless, they were perfect dunked into the congee.
Noodles with Fish "Eggs"and Beef Ball. Cannot really remember the shop, but just stepped into an eatery above Tsim Sha Tsui station, along Nathan Road, for breakfast. I love the firm, springy fish "eggs" (fish balls) and beef balls. The noodles in Hong Kong all have a strong alkaline taste, which I got so addicted to.
Gai Dan Zai (雞蛋仔) is an eggy coconut waffle that is crispy on the outside but soft inside. A perfect snack anytime. I would usually break the huge piece into small little "eggs" and eat it piece by piece. I cannot name this stall but this small little street stall along Nathan Road, between Jordan and Tsim Sha Tsui.
Lok Yuen Beef Ball (樂園牛丸大王). If you remember in Stephen Chow's movie, God of Cookery, there was the "Pissing" Fish Ball. In reality, there is the beef ball from Lok Yuen. The warning on their menu warns customers to be careful of hot soup that squirts out when chewing on their beef balls. These springy meat balls encapsulates a small piece of fish mall and piping hot soup. A must try! Lok Yuen can be found on Fa Yuen Street (花園街).
There is no better way to end an tiring evening with some delightful desserts in Hong Kong's ever popular dessert chain store, Hui Lao Shan (许留山). Such desserts stores are a trend in Hong Kong.

[Granville Road]
In Hong Kong, you must definitely make Granville Road (加連威老道) a shopping destination. Granville Road runs perpendicular from Nathan Road and connects to Chatham Road, in Tsim Sha Tsui. Both sides of the road are lined with shophouses and boutique with fashion for everyone and anyone.
Lung Shing Dispensary is one place to visit. Of course not for medicine! Lung Shing Dispensary is best known for selling the cheapest cosmetic, skin care, perfumes, hair care etc., at the cheapest price. If I am not wrong, they probably have the cheapest SK-II in Asia! It is no wonder Chinese tourists are grabbing big bags of Japanese facial products at Lung Shing Dispensary.
Granville Identity is a small retail mall to visit when you are at Granville Road. Not far from Gi mall is Rise Commercial Building on Granville Circuit, off Granville Road, where fashion seekers can find some bargain local fashion.

[Apliu Street]
Apliu Street (鸭寮街) in Sham Sui Po (深水埗) is definitely a geek heaven. If you are looking for mobile phones, cables or electronics, be it brand new or used, Apliu Street has everything. You can easily find a good deal there. I loved Apliu Street such that I had to visit it twice during my trip.
Not far from Apliu Street is Dragon Centre (西九龍中心), a nine-storey shopping mall which is also recommended for people wanting to check out the Hong Kong-style malls with many small "shop-lets".


[Others]

Changing accomodation to Renaissance Kowloon Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui. More room space comes with a bigger box TV.


We did steamboat with my bro, Mak and Amy, in very Hong Kong style. My bro told me that the locals do not drink the broth from the steamboat as it is 'heaty'. It was definitely fun doing steamboat from 9 p.m. till around 12 midnight.


Camera accessories are ridiculously cheap in Hong Kong. I had to hoot!



This sums up Part 4 of our Hong Kong Trip.
Next post, I will bring you guys to the beach!

Do check out previous entries here:

Photography & Editing by William Tan 2009
Documented using Nikon D200 with Tamron 18-270 VC and Panasonic LUMIX-LX3

Comments

Tony (Refurbished Laptops Guy) said…
Beautiful Photos!
I've always wanted to visit Hong Kong, and now I've seent eh food and shopping, I'm even more jealous and anxious to go!
Oooh I've just seen that part 2 is called Big Buddha so I'm off to look at that...
Thanks!
Tony.
fernfern said…
hi, may I know where you bought the camera accessories? in which area? thanks a lot.