EATZ: Newton Fried Hokkien Mee

Newton Fried Prawn Mee
People's Park Cooked Food Centre #01-1108
Needless for further recommendation, fried Hokkien prawn mee lovers should already know of "Newton Fried Prawn Mee". Nobody really knows its relation to the famous "Thye Hong Hokkien Prawn Mee" in Newton Hawker Centre, but this "Newton Fried Prawn Mee" stall is actually located in People's Park Cooked Food Centre, Chinatown. Looking around me, the majority of diners had a plate of their fried Hokkien prawn mee, so I decided to give it a go.

Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee
S$5 (S$4/5/6)
I was expecting these popular stores to have a small portion, hence I ordered a S$5 plate, which comes with 4 shrimps and probably more noodles. "Newton Fried Prawn Mee" had used thick beehoon (rice vermicelli) while there are a few rare stalls that used the thin beehoon. A dollop of chilli paste and lime on the side to be added to taste.

Verdict
This may not be the best Hokkien prawn noodle that I have had, but "Newton Fried Prawn Mee" definitely serves a good plate of it. Despite the small portion that really bugged me, I was actually appeased by the great taste. This version is actually rather dry and does not really have much gravy. Nevertheless, the noodle strands does not really tangle and is quite smooth and "Q" (springy). I could taste that they had used very rich prawn stock to fry the noodles, giving the this dish its fragrance and flavour. Another key factor to making a Hokkien prawn mee perfect, is the chilli paste. "Newton Fried Prawn Mee" has done their chilli paste more than just right!
Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee just has this magical thing to it, such that it can really make people crave for it all of a sudden. Then, the unique taste starts to conjure up in your mind and next thing you know, you think of where to find a stall that fries a good Hokkien prawn mee. If I am in Chinatown, "Newton Fried Prawn Mee" will be my first stop to satisfy such a craving!
However, I think my vote for "Best Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee" still goes to "天天到" with the endlessly long queues.

technorati
tags

Comments