TIME TO PAY YOUR TAXES!

It is the time of the year again to file my income tax for working year 2007.
Just got my IR8A,
and I got a shock of my life when I discovered that my chargeable income is so high, especially with all the bonuses and benefits which I was ever happy to receive.

Here is a useful site for those who need a low-down of what they are gonna be in for:
http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page01.aspx?id=86

If you are like me, an employed Singaporean and earning more than S$20,000 in 2007,
time to pay your taxes!

What is taxable?
All forms of income including earned bonuses and monetary benefits.
more info here: http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page.aspx?id=108

What are deductables or reliefs?
These are deductions that can help you lower the amount taxable.
more info here: http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page.aspx?id=110
Some important deductables to help you:

How do work out the taxable amount?
Basically the formula is:
1. Total Income Earned - Deductables/Reliefs = Chargeable Income
2. Chargeable Income are charged accordingly:
First $20,000: 0% + Next $10,000: 3.5%
First $30,000: as before + Next $10,000: 5.5%
etc...
refer to rates here:
http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page03.aspx?id=1190

Example
If your chargeable income for YA 2007 is $36,000 (i.e. you earned $36,000 in year 2006), your tax payable would be calculated as below:
First $30,000 = $350
Next $6,000 @ 5.5% = $330
Total tax payable = $350 + $330 = S$680

Otherwise, this useful Tax Calculator works the math for you!
http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/uploadedFiles/Quick_Links/e-Tax_Guides/Individuals_and_employees/How-to-calculate-your-tax.xls
Just remember to input as Gross Income, and put in deductions: CPF Contributions Relief, Earned Income Relief, One-off personal tax rebate and etc...
Have fun filing your tax!

Comments

Anonymous said…
not your first time paying income tax, right? Or is your shock due to the very good income last year? :p

I was told by IRAS that I don't need to submit mine this time unless there is any new additional income/deduction. Probably their new policy to reduce paperwork, good for us and for them.

Anyway yours truly doesn't earn much so they decided to take pity on me, haha.
WILLIAM TAN said…
nope not my first income tax.
the shock came about from my full year's income at my present place is more than I had expected.

eh? how possible no need to submit? I just got my letter saying that I won't receive any package but to go online to e-file.

im sure your experience is paying you good enough! ;)
Anonymous said…
the exemption is for those with no additional income besides the regular submission already filed by their employers, and no new deduction/relief claims.
WILLIAM TAN said…
I see edna, which means if were still with NUS, I would probably have the same exemption from filing, since NUS do auto-inclusion of IR8A. So as not to mislead readers, so of course you are still taxable for the income you have earned.
Anonymous said…
oh yes of course I still have to pay income tax. Exempted from e-filing only :p. Read about it in today's ST.