Look what I have had! Hot dogs @ The Bratwurst Shop, Plaza Singapura

Have always walked past "The Bratwurst Shop" whenever I enter Plaza Singapura from the basement. After reading the sign posting a newspaper review, it claims that the shop is a concept brought in from Melbourne, Australia. But during my undergraduate year in Melbourne, I have never seen sausages and sauerkraut as an icon of Australian cuisine. I would agree that if they claim it to be from Europe. Nevertheless, I finally decided to give it a try.


Chicken and Mushroom Sausage
The Bratwurst Shop
Plaza Singapura, B2-39C
S$4.90
The sausage looked rather burnt from the display sausages that are already cooked. Apparantly upon ordering, the sausages were taken to the grills again. The sausage is clamped in-between a split toasted hotdog bun, topped with mustard and laced with sauerkraut. The skin of the sausage breaks with a crunch and the stuffing is soft and juicy.


Black Pepper Pork Sausage
S$4.90
The black pepper pork sausage is presented in exactly the same fashion as the earlier. The stuffing of the sausage is coarsely-minced pork marinated with ground black pepper. The buns are well toasted.

Verdict
The portion is rather filling if you are considering this as a snack, but not too much to be a meal. Nevertheless, you can choose to complete this with add-ons to make it a meal. The sausages are nice but not worth going for a second round, while I would gladly do so at "Erich's Wuerstelstand". I would also prefer IKEA's cheap blanched sausage sandwich than this. The taste of their sausages are just not spectacular. The sauerkraut is also not as tasty as Erich's. I have very high expectations for my sauerkraut since I have had authentic ones in Europe. The sauerkraut is a tad bland. The sausage 'dogs' here can possibly market to the less-fussy crowd, but not a picky foodie like myself. A quick snack.

technorati tags

Comments

KENNY said…
One thing good about where I'm at is this hot dog store called Ted's, rated by the Food Network as one of America's best hot dogs. Definitely gonna miss it when I leave Buffalo.
WILLIAM TAN said…
KENNY said...
One thing good about where I'm at is this hot dog store called Ted's, rated by the Food Network as one of America's best hot dogs. Definitely gonna miss it when I leave Buffalo.


their dogs are definitely much better than what we have here.
looks damn good! especially with all that chilli.
http://www.tedsonline.com/