Testing SIGMA 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

I had earlier posted about trading my D50 body for a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM ultrawide angle lens link. As I have mentioned, I took a wedding ROM series for my friend with this lens and was captivated by the images from this lens. Playing with it from different viewpoints give fabulous distortions that some dislike but definitely not me. I realised that the use of a fish-eye such as Tokina 10-17mm may be fun but usage is limited. Hence, the widest I can have for a DSLR is this Sigma 10-20mm, though many reviews swear by Nikon 12-24mm. But IMHO, I found that the 2mm made a significant difference.

I decided to put the lens to test, to perform a much detailed functionality check, identify potential front-back-focusing errors and sharpness.
Thanks to Benny for lending me his D50 body and tripod to conduct this test.


Identification of Best Aperture for Details
100% crops of images shot at 10mm with apertures f/8, 11, 13 and 22.
Left - Left of image, Center - Center of image, Right - Right of image
Sharpness are ranked from 1 (sharpest) and the highest (poor).
f/13 is the best aperture for capturing most details at 10mm and the worst being the most narrow aperture.


100% crops of images shot at 20mm with apertures f/8, 11, 13 and 22.
Left - Left of image, Center - Center of image, Right - Right of image
Sharpness are ranked from 1 (sharpest) and the highest (poor).
f/11 followed by f/13 is the best aperture for capturing most details at 20mm and the worst being the most narrow aperture.


100% cropped images of the center (AF area=watch face) at 10mm and 20mm, wide open.
20mm gives a sharper image of the face compared to 10mm. However, at full resolution at 10mm, the face is very small and thus making it hard to distinguish the sharpness. It will only matter if I crop the image.

Trial
Shots

Camera was set at Aperture-Priority mounted on a tripod and set to a 2 sec delay fire timer.
The lens had a Kenko PRO 1 Digital DMC UV Filter mounted on the front.

technorati tags

Comments

Laurens said…
wah........gianz........