MELLBEN Seafood

Yesterday, a group of four including myself visited MELLBEN Seafood at Toa Payoh Lorong 8 for the famous 金沙蟹 (Shimmering Sand Cab). The thing about this dish is that it is cooked neither curry nor black pepper, but their unique 金沙. The sauce is a sinful but rich and flavourful gravy. I guessed that the sauce uses evaporated milk, coconut milk, curry leaves, white pepper, fried cornflakes and butter. The absence of curry powder explains the yellowish-white thick gravy. Together with the tender, juicy crab meat, this dish is PERFECT despite the cholesterol boost! So on top of that, we order some greens, stir-fried baby kailan and (originally hotplate became...) hotwok tofu.
The conclusion is that 'Finger lickin' good' applies not only to fried chicken but crab too!
MELLBEN Seafood is also available at AMK Ave 3 and Pasir Ris.



technorati tags

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mellben is famous for the Shimmering Sand Crab ar? Both time I went to the AMK stall, I had the crab bee hoon. Must try the Shimmering Sand Crab next time. So the AMK or the Toa Payoh stall is better?
WILLIAM TAN said…
Toa Payoh was not called MELLBEN previously leh, when I was there early last year. It has also been a long time since I visited the AMK stall. I only tried the chilli crab and crab beehoon at AMK stall. I have not tried their Shimmering Sand Crab.
I only know TPY MELLBEN for the Shimmering and it is a must try!
Speaking of which, Eunos also got a famous crab stall which I've been to.
Anonymous said…
okie... its a craby affair. next time we can organise outings to all these places... the bearbrick food haunts :P
WILLIAM TAN said…
dunch like dat say lah...
i ish shy...

we can do so.
we everytime eat restaurant food only, hardly had the chance to see each other get dirty!
(oops, i meant fingers)
Anonymous said…
Ooh dirrty...nasty...eh how come is so dirty? Are we using our hands for anything else besides the crab?