REVIEW: SingInk Ink Replacement

I needed to buy new ink cartridges for my BROTHER MFC-410CN printer. For my printer, as long as one ink cartridge is empty, I will need to replace that in order to resume printing. The price of an LC47 color costs about S$18 each. I used to buy the color cartridges as a bundle of 3-pack at S$45 and black 2-pack at S$54. I thought they were cheap and economical back then, but later did I realise that the printer exhausts the ink cartridges rather quickly. At my minimal usage level, the ink cartridges can last me for about 6 months.

I went to SLS to get my BROTHER ink cartridges, but the only shop that sells them in bundle, was closed for the holidays. So I had to look for the cheapest solo cartridges. I then came across Public N Private Ltd at Level 5. I had always noticed that shop for selling replacement ink solutions. I have had bad experience with SEPOM injection replacement inks on my earlier Epson and resulted in having to replace the printer head. However, when I was examining the BROTHER ink cartridges, I realised that the cartridge is not as complicated as other makes. Hence, I felt that the concept of SingInk refillable ink for BROTHER printers seem rather simple and efficient. The only problem will be clotting of the capillary ink delivery system of the BROTHER printer. Each color or black costs S$10 each (100mL) or S$7 (55mL). The stall owner claimed that the 100mL bottle can last for ten refills. I did not believe back then. Nevertheless, I got myself the three colors and decide to give it a shot.

Let's follow through this mini-review of the replacement procedure and test.

CLICK ON THUMBNAILS BELOW TO ENLARGE IMAGES.

You will first need to retrieve the empty ink cartridge from your printer. Here, I am showing the replacement of Cyan.


Look for the depression on the top of the cartridge, use that as a guide and start puncturing the top. You can use the hook with screw-thread provided F.O.C., but I recommend a mini-hand drill (not provided) which is easier.


After hand-drilling, a small hole is created. You can then screw the hook (supplied) into the hole to make the hole into one of correct dimension, which is important.



You will need to puncture the tip of the nozzle of the ink bottle. I used a small 0.3mm diameter mini-hand drill. Alternatively, you can puncture with a needle or cut off a small bit of the tip.


It is necessary to use the hook to create a hole of the right dimension so that the nozzle of the ink bottle can fit nicely into the cartridge via the punctured hole.


After inserting the nozzle, set the cartridge upright.

Gently squeeze the ink bottle until the empty (left) cartridge is filled to 80% of the height (right). This is so because when the level is too low or even too high, the printer will not be able to sense the cartridge as a new cartridge.


Plug the rubber cap into the punctured top to seal the hole.

I did not buy and change the black ink with SingInk, since I had an original spare from a bundle from earlier.


Authentic BROTHER ink cartridges come in airtight sealed bags. You can clearly see that the original BROTHER ink cartridge does not even have the ink level at 80%!


Replace all the ink cartridges follow by an automated cleaning process or can be activated from the Ink Management > Cleaning > Color/Black/All.


Apparantly, what the stall owner had claimed were true!
After the refill, I have only used up 10% of the contents in the bottle.
Hence, it is definitely worth it to get the SingInk than getting an original BROTHER ink cartridge, if it works.


Now, to test if it works.
After installation of the cartridges, I checked the printer status via the computer and all levels showed FULL.
I also test-printed the two images shown above, using the NORMAL setting (one level below the best setting, FINE).


The colors looked decent and accurate to me.
(pardon the right picture taken with a K750i)
The verdict is ....

TWO THUMBS UP!
I'm sure to swear by its quality!

I have also done a video clip on the procedure of the ink replacement. I hope that it is informative for anyone who is thinking of giving such replacement ink solution a try.




technorati tags

Comments

Laurens said…
wah...Pro!!!
Anonymous said…
yes, found it very instructive. My Canon i550 also uses individual catridges .... do they have replacement ink for this model?
Anonymous said…
If you want I can help you ask a friend of mine for the ink cartridges for printers. He has a friend who deals in with this kinda stuff and I might be able to get a good price. Any enqueries just sms me the make/model of your printer and requirements. Cheers
Anonymous said…
thanks shaun, will get your number from william. My concern is whether such refills will cause any damage to the printer head and whether the colour is as good as the original.
Cameron said…
Check out www.inkisit.com , for fun and Kodak's new printer for which black ink is only $10 and color ink is $15.
Anonymous said…
No problem. I am not sure if any of you have lobangs of your own but feel free to drop me enqueries @ 97484623 and I can check with my supplier.