REPOST: Nikon D50 DSLR

Nikon D50 Digital SLR

This is a repost of an earlier account.
I have also decided to make this a sticky post which can be located on the right hand side frame.





CLICK ON POST LINKER BANNER BELOW TO READ FULL ARTICLE.


The Crossroad
I was at the crossroad of deciding the D40 (newer model) and D50. I thoroughly went through many reviews and came up with a comparison for both models, before I make my decision.

Specifications of the D50 compared to D40.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Making Decisions
D40 and D50 are very close in performance. D40 being a newer model have better processing engine and hence, images look cleaner, crisper and better than the D50. I was also captivated by the look of the new menu and its fantastic LCD monitor. However, by having a better LCD monitor, D40 dropped the status LCD and moved the setting status to the LCD monitor. I would still prefer to use the status LCD as it consumes less power and I do not have to keep activating the LCD monitor. The sleep time of the bright LCD monitor of the D40 is a tat too long, such that it becomes a hindrance when one views through the viewfinder. D40 also have a shorter shutter lag and viewfinder blackout. D40 also have an additional HI-1 ISO 3200 for extreme low-light conditions, but proves to be useless with too much noise. However, D40 does have more control over its auto ISO settings. The D50 have bracketing function which I am not too concerned with. Additional features like the in-camera retouching in D40 also doesn’t fascinate me too much, however, I am not too sure about having the FUNC button. Both cameras do not have DOF button, so no complains about that. D40 have a slightly better advantage by having support for SDHC cards (cards up to 4GB and potentially higher capacity cards) while D50 can only support up to the conventional 2GB cards. Although D40 can give more shots than the D50, in terms of battery life, I prefer the EN-EL3 because it is used by D70S and D80. D40 uses a new slim EN-EL9 battery and is currently only useable by D40. Nikon has yet announced other uses and sale of EN-EL9. I think it is easier to get EN-EL3 from resellers since it is used by more popular models. Size does matter, but in this case, I prefer D50 since dSLR can never be ‘pocketable’ and a larger body frame gives user a better and more comfortable grip.

The most critical difference determining one’s decision is the AF. D40 have 3 AF areas while D50 have 5, nothing to cry about except that the VF looks fancier with 5 AF areas. The reason for D40 having a smaller body frame and cheaper retail is because Nikon has dropped the AF motor in the D40 body. D40 is the first of the Nikon dSLR to be without an AF motor on body. So how does it affect AF? It doesn’t, but there is always a ‘BUT’. D40 can ONLY auto-focus with Nikkor AF-S and AF-I DX lenses, lenses with built-in AF motor. It can still use the older F-mount type G/D lenses, but D40 users will have to use manual focus only. However, D50 have an on-body AF motor. This AF motor will auto-focus all F-mount type G/D lenses (from the DX lenses to older lenses). Many reviews consider this loss of the AF motor as a crippled-down D40 or its nail-in-the-coffin. This is all part of a strategy to make new users to buy only Nikkor AF-S or AF-I lenses, after they get tempted by the cheap body. However, some users have claimed that the D40 can AF Sigma USM lenses, since they have an in-built AF motor as well. Nikon has also yet to release DX format ‘prime’ lenses with built-in AF motor. These prime lenses have the best construction, allowing users to fully utilize their dSLR and definitely take better pictures, all is of course with a heavy price tag (in terms of S$1K and above). Nevertheless, one who simply wishes to stay simple and stick to one or maybe two basic lenses, losing the AF motor does not really matter. Then the D40 is clearly a better choice. I am swayed towards D50 as I ultimately wish to have more versatility in terms of lenses selection, and to be able to pick from the bigger range of resale F-mount lenses, rather than just AF-S or AF-I.

Ultimately, the deciding factor is still price. I would prefer to spend as little as possible (doesn’t everyone want that?). I am not to bugged about it being a pre-owned since the resale D50 still have 3 months of warranty. I am using D50 as a stepping stone to learn photography using dSLR. I might upgrade to a better body in the future and would like to retain any type of lenses that I might invest in. Hence, I need not necessary spend so much on a mint set, if I know that I might resell this body one day. I will spend as little as possible irregardless if it is mint or resale. Every single dollar saved is still saved!


The Product Gallery
~Product shoot of D50~








(click on images to enlarge)


Trial Session
~Testing the D50 capabilities~

I have put the D50 to test and here are the results. I have done resizing down to 1024x768 without further enhancements and 100% crops to scrutinize any possible flaws at full resolution without photoshop.





(click on images to enlarge. Left=100% cropped, Right=Resized to 1024x768)


Comments

Anonymous said…
nikon d50 and other Nikon D50 blog video